Registration of new diesel SUVs, luxury cars in Delhi has been banned by Supreme Court [ Current News (Concise) ]
Registration of all diesel SUVs (Sports Utility Vehicles) and luxury cars in the entire National Capital Region (NCR) of Delhi has been banned by Supreme Court. Till March 31, 2016 SUVs and luxury cars whose engine capacity is up to 2000 cc are banned for a team.
- Behind this decision Supreme Court’s ambitions is to decrease the alarming pollution level in Delhi.
About Supreme Court rules:
- The Supreme Court has also announced that trucks are not allowed to enter the capital through National Highways 1 and 8.
- And also make rule that trucks which are carrying goods for Delhi will have to shell out a steep environment compensation charge (ECC), regarding that Big trucks have to pay 2, 600 Rs. and 1, 400 Rs. charges for light commercial vehicle as ECC.
- Up to 1 March 2016, all the private cabs in Delhi should translate into Compressed Natural Gas (CNG).
- Supreme Court has also banned Commercial vehicles which are registered before 2005 from entering Delhi.
- Also banned to burn west by Delhi government and all civic bodies.
- Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) has also make compulsory for builders to stop polluting the NCR region and for that they have make construction standards strict.
- Right now, 23 % (around 8.5 million) of the vehicles in Delhi are run on diesel every day and more than 1, 400 new cars are added daily.
- The pollution produced by diesel vehicles are much more cancer-causing nitrogen oxide than petrol cars and are also a main source of Particulate Matters.
- Published on: December 17, 2015