Rio Olympics 2016: Wrestler Sakshi Malik wins first medal for India [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
India got its first medal in summer Rio Olympics 2016 by Freestyle wrestler Sakshi Malik (23) with the bronze in the 58kg category and with this she become the first Indian woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal.
- It was India’s overall 25th medal in Olympic Games.
- Sakshi beaten Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan by 8-5 points and become fourth woman athlete from India to win an Olympic medal.
- Previously Weight-lifter Karnam Malleshwari was the first Indian to win a bronze medal in Olympic 2000.
- Boxer MC Marykom had won bronze in boxing and Shuttler Saina Nehwal had won a bronze medal in badminton at the 2012 London Games.
- It was over all fifth medal of India in wrestling min the Olympic Games.
- KD Jadhav had won first bronze medal in wrestling in Olympics at the 1952 Helsinki Olympic Games.
- Sushil Kumar was the second to won bronze medal in wrestling at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and silver medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- Yogeshwar Dutt had won bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
About Sakshi Malik
- Sakshi Malik was born on 3rd September 1992 in Rohtak, Haryana.
- At age of 12-years she had started her wrestling training under the guidance of Ishwar Dahiya at an akhara in the Chotu Ram stadium.
- bronze medal at the 2010 Junior World Championships in the 59-kg category
- Gold medal at the 2014 Dave Schultz International Wrestling Tournament (60-kg)
- silver medal in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow
- bronze medal in 2015 Senior Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha
- bronze medal at the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix in 60-kg category
- Published on: August 22, 2016