Sania Mirza is conferred for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
About Sania Mirza: Sania Mirza was born on 15th November 1986. She is an Indian professional tennis player and currently she ranked as world’s No. 1 in women’s doubles. She is the third Indian woman in the Open Era who selected and won a round at a Grand Slam tournament.
- She won 10 singles and 13 doubles titles as a junior player.
- She also won the 2003 Wimbledon Championships Girls’ Doubles title, partnering with Alisa Kleybanova.
About her achievements:
- She has won total of 14 medals in which 6 are Gold medals at three major multi - sport events, the Asian Games, the Commonwealth Games and the Afro - Asian Games.
- She was named in one of the “50 heroes of Asia” by Time in October 2005.
- She was also selected in the list of the “33 women who made India proud” in March 2010 by The Economic Times.
About selection for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award:
- Sania Mirza became the second tennis player who is recommended for the prominent Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, while star cricketer Rohit Sharma and ace shooter Jitu Rai were among the 17 sports - persons are selected for this year’s Arjuna awards.
- Sania’s name was recommended by a Sports Ministry - constituted awards committee headed by Justice V K Bali who is the retired Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court.
- The Khel Ratna carries prize money of Rs. 7.5 lakh along with a quotation, while the Arjuna awards come with a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh and a quotation.
- Published/Last Modified on: August 13, 2015