Sarbananda Sonowal Take Oath as Chief Minister of Assam [ Current News (Concise) ]
Sarbananda Sonowal (54) BJP leader and former Union Minister have taken oath as the 14th Chief Minister of Assam after winning with majority in 2016 state assembly election. At the oath taking ceremony of Sarbananda Sonowal State Governor Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya administered the oath of office and secrecy which was held in Khanapara, Guwahati.
- Governor has also administered oath of office and secrecy to the 10 ministers of his government along with him.
- And with this in the political history of independent India BJP government presumed power in the North Eastern state for first time.
- After Jogen Hazarika (in office from 1970s), Sarbananda Sonowal became second tribal chief minister of Assam.
About Sarbananda Sonowal:
- Sarbananda Sonowal was born on 31st October 1961 in Dibrugarh, Assam.
- He is widely known as a firebrand and dynamic youth politician of Assam and also regarded as a Jatiya Nayak.
- From 1992 to 1999 he was the President of All Assam Students’ Union (ASSU) previously entering into politics.
- He was elected as the member of Assam assembly on the ticket of Asom Gana Parishad in 2001.
- For the first time he became Lok Sabha member in 2004 from Dibrugarh constituency.
- Later in 2013 he joined the BJP and for the first time became state BJP President.
- From the Lakhimpur Lok Sabha constituency he was elected to the 16th Lok Sabha.
- In the Narendra Modi Government He also had served as Union Minister for Sports & Youth Affairs and Union Minister of State (MoS) for Entrepreneurship and Skill Development.
- Published on: May 25, 2016