Satya Pal Jain: Part Time Member of 21st Law Commission [ Current News (Concise) ]
Satya Pal Jain an additional Solicitor General of India and former Parliamentarian was appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India to present charge as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
About Satya Pal Jain
- Satya Pal Jain is a well-known constitution lawyer and senior BJP leader.
- He also had served as the Dean of the Law Faculty of Panjab University and currently is a Member of the Panjab University Senate.
- He has served as lawyer in various important civil and criminal cases, Presidential election disputes, Liberhan Commission of Enquiry, various election petitions and other important civil and criminal cases.
- In 1996 (11th Lok Sabha) and 1998 (12th Lok Sabha) he was appointed as Member of Parliament (MP) from Chandigarh.
- The 21st Law Commission of India has been constituted by President Pranab Mukherjee in September 2015.
- Justice B S Chauhan a retired Judge of the Supreme Court was appointed as its Chairman.
- Justice Ravi R Tripathi a retired judge of Gujarat High Court and Bimal N Patel Director, GNLU were designated members of this Commission.
About Law Commission of India (LCI)
- The LCI is a non-statutory and non-constitutional body which was founded by the Union Government from time to time.
- In 1955 the first commission was established and since then various commissions were re-constituted at every three years.
- And a retired Supreme Court judge or former Chief Justice of a high court generally head this constitutes.
- Previously various Law Commissions have submitted 262 reports to make important contribution towards categorization and progressive development of laws of the country.
- The Secretary Department of Legal Affairs and Secretary, Legislature Department of Union Ministry of Law & Justice are ex-officio members of the Commission.
- Published on: June 13, 2016