Scientists Working on Storing Digital Information in DNA [ Current News (Concise) ]
Scientists are working on storing digital data in the base sequence of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid). They are looking for to make the genetic material capable to store data for long time in durable format as a store data for the future.
DNA: Information-storing molecule
- DNA is abstract an information-storing molecule.
- It brings the genetic instructions used in the growth, operative, development and reproduction of all known living.
- By the genes genetic instructions are passed from generation to generation.
- DNA mainly transmits the blueprints for creating the human body.
How DNA store information?
- Information in the DNA is stored in strings in the form of four-letter DNA code.
It is fundamentally sequences of four building blocks (nuclear strands) abbreviated as:
- A (Adenine)
- C (Cytosine)
- T (Thymine)
- G (Guanine)
- These are found in DNA molecule.
- For creating particular proteins, specific sequences of these blocks give the body directions.
How DNA can transfer Digital information?
- In binary format (1s and 0s) digital devices store information that is in a two-letter code that produces strings of 1s and 0s.
- For ex. capital ‘A’ stored as 01000001 in binary format.
- In case of storing and converting digital information in DNA includes transforming between the two sequences or codes of four building blocks. For ex. capital ‘A’ converted and stored as AATATG.
- For the storage DNA digital data storage technology uses artificial DNA made using oligonucleotide synthesis machines.
- DNA sequencing machines uses for retrieval of stored data.
- Using this technology strings of DNA can be custom-made.
- That can carry the new code and store information that code includes.
- DNA digital data storage technology has very extended durability.
- Thousands of years, scientists can store digital information in DNA sequences
- DNA consumes information is stored in very little space.
- Current technology is hugely expensive. So, making this technology practical and much cheaper.
- Published on: July 26, 2016