Senior IAS Officer Ajay Bhushan Pandey Appointed as CEO of UIDAI [ Current News (Concise) ]
Government appointed Ajay Bhushan Pandey as a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). His appointment was confirmed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). This committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- He is a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Maharashtra cadre. Previously he was serving as Director General of the UIDAI since August 2015.
- UIDAI: Unique Identification Authority of India
- UIDAI is legislative organization behind the Aadhaar. It will own and operate the Unique Identification Number database.
- Aadhaar is a 12 digit unique number.
- In 2009, it was founded under the previous United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
- 2009 to 2014 CEO of Infosys Nandan Nilekani was its chairman.
- He has been involved with UIDAI established under the Aadhaar Act.
- An implementation of Aadhaar since September 2010.
- It was approved statutory status by Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016.
- Aadhaar is associated with an individual’s demographic and biometric information,
- It serves as a verification instrument throughout India.
- UIDAI had been working on registering children in the Aadhaar ecosystem, and they can be linked to various development schemes.
- It will also have to deal with the legal cases involving privacy and governmental issues that Aadhaar has been involved in.
- Union and State Governments are trying to link many of their major development and subsidy schemes to reduce leakages and duplication using Aadhaar.
- Published on: July 25, 2016