Seven Shutters of Indian are Qualify for 2016 Rio Olympics [ Current News (Concise) ]
Seven Badminton players (shutters) of India have been officially qualified for the upcoming Rio Olympics scheduled which will be held in August 2016 in Brazil. And the qualified players are:
- Saina Nehwal
- PV Sindhu
- K. Srikanth
- Jwala Gutta
- Ashwini Ponnappa
- Manu Attri
- B Sumeeth Reddy
- After the release of latest BWF world rankings the pairs of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa and Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy are qualified.
- In the 2012 London Olympics Saina Nehwal won a Bronze medal, will represent India for the third time, while Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa will be figuring in Olympics for second time.
- Srikanth and PV Sindhu are taking part for the first time at the Olympic stage.
- In the maiden Games, Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy also are set to represent the country.
- For the first time two Women’s Singles players - Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu will represent India at the Olympics.
- A total of 172 shutters have made it to the Rio Olympics Games.
About Rio Olympics 2016
- Rio Olympics is a major international multi-sport event in the ritual of the Olympic Games will start from 5th August 2016 and hosted in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. And with this Rio will become the first South American city to host the Summer Olympics.
- It was held from 1968.
- Greatest numbers of countries are participating in a record number of sports.
- In this edition more than 10, 500 number of athletes from 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs), with first time entrants Kosovo and South Sudan, will take part.
- The games will feature 28 Olympic sports and 306 sets of medals — with rugby sevens and golf, which were added by the International Olympic Committee in 2009.
- Under the IOC presidency of Thomas Bach these will be the first Summer Olympic Games.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 9, 2016