Sharad Joshi the Renowned agro-economist passes away [ Current News (Concise) ]
Sharad Anantrao Joshi, renowned agro-economist and veteran leader of farmers passed away in Pune, Maharashtra at age of 81. He was founder of Shetakari Sanghtana (farmers’ Organization) an NGO dedicated to the cause of farmers in Maharashtra.
About Sharad Joshi
- Born: 1935 in Satara district of Maharashtra.
- In 1979, he had established Shetakari Sanghtana.
- He had served as lecturer of Economics and Statistics in Pune University and later worked with United Nations (UN).
- He was also member of Advisory Board of the World Agricultural Forum (WAF).
- Joshi had directed numerous agitations, protests, fasts throughout the state to highlight the issue of reasonable prices for agricultural produce.
- From 2004 to 2010 he also serves as Rajya Sabha member.
- For the bill providing 33 % reservation for women in Parliament and assemblies voting he was only one MP who has voted against this bill in Upper house.
- Published on: December 14, 2015