Shiv Sena demands ‘Bharat Ratna’ award for Veer Savarkar [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
About Shiv Sena: Shiv Sena is an Indian local political party. This party is based on Marathi nationalism and Hindu nationalism. It was founded by political cartoonist Bal Thackeray on 19th June 1966. The party was begun from a movement in Mumbai.
- Its demand was better action for Maharashtrians who are protection seeker.
About Veer Savarkar:
- Vinayak Damodar Savarkar was born on 28th May 1883 and died on 26th February 1966.
- He was an Indian freedom activist politician and he was also a poet writer and dramatist.
- He supported the system of destruction of caste in Hindu culture and reconversion of the renewed Hindus back to Hindu religion.
- He recognized the ideal of India as a Hindu Rashtra and opposed the Quit India struggle in 1942 and called it a “Quit India but keeps your army” movement.
About award for Veer Savarkar:
- Sanjay Raut, leader of Shiv Sena has requested to Prime Minister to give Bharat Ratna to freedom fighter Veer Savarkar.
- Bharat Ratna award is India’s highest civilian award.
- Published on: September 17, 2015