Shyam Benegal will head Committee to revamp Central Board of Film Censors [ Current News (Concise) - Committees ]
The noted film-maker Shyam Benegal has been constituted a committee head by the Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting to look into revamp the film certification nuances by Central Board of Film Censors (CBFC).
The work of committee is to suggest recommendations provide a holistic framework and interpretation of provisions of Cinematograph Act, 1952 and Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983.
Other Members of the Committee:
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra,
- Bhawana Somaaya,
- Piyush Pandey,
- Nina Lath Gupta.
Terms of reference of the Committee
- The main aim of this committee is to take note of the best practices in various parts of the world.
- For the benefit of the chairperson and other members of the Screening Committee of CBFC this committee is also recommend broad guidelines under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952.
- And they also have taken care of what film industry is given sufficient and adequate space for creative and aesthetic expression.
- And also have to look into the staffing pattern of CBFC in an effort to recommend a framework which would provide efficient and transparent user friendly services.
- The Committee has to submit their recommendations within two months.
- And according to their recommendations films will be get certification to discharge their responsibilities keeping in view the prescribed framework.
About Shyam Benegal:
- Shyam Benegal born 14 December 1934.
- He is an Indian director and screenwriter.
- He has created a new generation in film industry with his first four feature films (1973), Nishant (1975), Manthan (1976) and Bhumika (1977) which has now come to be called the “middle cinema” in India. Ankur
- His work is known as New or Alternate cinema.
- Padma Shri in1976.
- Padma Bhushan in1991.
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2005.
- ANR National Award in 2013
- Published/Last Modified on: January 8, 2016