Silver Medal Won by India at Archery World Cup in Antalya [ Current News (Concise) ]
The silver medal has been won by the Indian mixed recurve team of Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das has at the Archery World Cup held in Antalya, Turkey in the finals played at Konyaalti Beach Park, the Indian team lost to South Korea with 1 - 5 score.
- Indian team trailed by 0 - 2 score in the first match against the top-seeded Korean pair of Choi Misun and Ku Bonchan.
- After defeating second-seeded Italian pair of Mauro Nespoli and Guendalina Sartori with 5 - 1 score in the semi-finals this is sixth scattered Indian recurve duo grasped final of this world cup.
- Previously the Indian women’s recurve team of Bombayla Devi Laishram, Deepika Kumari and Laxmirani Majhi finished at fourth position.
About Archery World Cup
- The Archery World Cup was started in 2006 and was organized by the World Archery Federation.
- It organized in four different stages in four different countries and the best eight archers of each category advance to an additional stage to challenge the Archery World Cup Final.
- This form of competition was announced after the success of the 2003 World Archery Championships in New York and the 2004 Summer Olympics with the intent of making the sport more general and beautiful spectators, with the competitions held in ‘spectacular’ locations and the final matches showed online.
- It has established plaudits for its advanced approach to the sport, floating its profile and reach.
- The World Cup is broadcast live on Eurosport from 2013.
About Deepika Kumari
- Deepika Kumari was born on 13 June 1994.
- She is an Indian athlete who participates in the event of Archery and is currently ranked World No. 5
- As a child, she expert archery while aiming for mangoes with stones.
- Deepika made her first development in 2005 when she entered Arjun Archery Academy.
- She was given the Arjuna Award, India’s second highest sporting award in the year 2012.
- In February 2014, she was privileged with FICCI Sportsperson of the Year Award.
- She won the 11th Youth World Archery Championship held in Ogden, USA in 2009.
- In May 2012, Deepika Kumari won her first World Cup individual stage recurve gold medal at Antalya, Turkey.
About Atanu Das
- Atanu Das was born on 5th April 1992.
- He is supported by the Olympic Gold Quest.
- He represents India in the Recurve Men’s Individual and Team events.
- In 2008 he had made his international debut.
- Currently he is ranked at 67 positions across the world.
- In the 2013 World Cup Mixed Team event organized in Colombia Atanu has won a bronze medal, with Deepika Kumari.
- At the present time Atanu is employed in Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Kolkata.
- Atanu has started archery at the age of 14 under the coaching of Mithu Da.
- Published on: June 21, 2016