Sister Nirmala Joshi successor of Mother Teresa passed away June 23, 2015 [ Current News (Concise) ]
Sister Nirmala Joshi who is former Superior General of Missionaries of Charity passed away in Kolkata after brief illness at the age 81. Since 1997, she had taken over as Superior General after the death of Mother Teresa. Sister Nirmala Joshi was born in 1934 in Ranchi (now the capital of Jharkhand) in Hindu family.
- In 1976, she had joined the Missionaries of Charity after she had dedicated herself to the service of the poor after getting inspired by the work of Mother Teresa.
- Mother Teresa was died on 5 September 1997 but Sister Nirmala was elected as Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity six months before death of Mother Teresa.
- Sister Nirmala Joshi had played vital role expanding the organization’s reach by opening centres in 134 countries including in Afghanistan, Israel and Thailand.
- Sister Nirmala Joshi was replaced by German-born Sister Mary Prema Pierick, M.C. Her term as Superior General of Missionaries of Charity had ended on 25 March 2009
- Sister Nirmala received many awards and honors. In 2009, she was bestowed with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second highest civilian award for her services to the nation.
- Published/Last Modified on: June 25, 2015