Sitaram Yechury elected as General Secretary of CPI (M) [ Current News (Concise) ]
Communist Party of India (Marxist) CPI (M) unanimously elected Sitaram Yechury as the 5th general secretary of the party. Sitaram Yechury succeeded Prakash Karat, who was the General Secretary of the party from 2005 to April 2015.
- Sitaram Yechury was appointed as the general secretary by 91-member Central Committee (CC) following the withdrawal of S. Ramachandran Pillai from the race. Pillai’s name was proposed by the outgoing general secretary Prakash Karat.
- The new CC (Central Committee) also elected a 16-member Polit Bureau of which four are new member selected and they are Hannan Mollah, Mohd Salim, Subhashini Ali and G Ramakrishnan.
- Besides,party of three veteran’s name V.S. Achuthanandan, Budhhadeb Bhattacharya and Nirupam Sen were dropped from the CC along with K Vardha Rajan.
- Sitaram Yechury was born on 12 August 1952 Chennai, Tamilnadu. He completed graduation from St.Stephen’s college, Delhi and post graduation in JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University) in Delhi.
- Published on: April 22, 2015