South African city, Durban to host 22nd Edition of Commonwealth Games in 2022 [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Commonwealth Games: These are a multi - sport events featuring athletes from over 50 fellow countries of Commonwealth nations. The games were first held in 1930 and since then they are held every 4 years. Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) is the lead agency to supervise these games.
- It also controls the sporting programme and selects the host cities.
- Apart from many Olympic sports, these games also include some sports that are played mainly in Commonwealth countries, such as lawn bowls and netball.
- 18 cities in seven countries have hosted this event.
- India has hosted 19th edition of Commonwealth Games in New Delhi from 3 to 14 October in 2010.
About Durban (South African city) hosting CWG:
- For the first time in the history of Commonwealth Games, African nation has been chosen as the host of the Games.
- The city was chosen by the Federation’s general assembly in New Zealand as it was the only dealer for the multi - sports event.
- 22nd Commonwealth Games would be held from 18 to 30 July in 2022
- Published/Last Modified on: September 12, 2015