Sri Sri Ravi Shankar to Receive Colombia’s Highest Civilian Award [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
Indian spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has been conferred with Colombia’s highest civilian award, Orden de la Democracia Simon Bolivar en el grado de cruz Caballero for spreading the message of peace in society, reducing stress, inter-mediation in war and combating violence through yoga and breathing exercises.
Ravi Shankar was as born on 13 May 1956 in Papanasam, Tamil Nadu. Ravi Shankar is commonly known as Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. He is referred as Sri Sri (honorific) or as Guruji.
In 1981, Ravi Shankar is founder of humanitarian and educational NGO called Art of Living Foundation established. The NGO aims to relieve individual stress, societal problems, and violence.
Ravi Shankar received many awards and honors:
- Paraguay’s highest civilian award National Order of Merito de Comuneros in 2012)
- Mongolia’s highest civilian award Order of the Pole Star in 2006
- Ravi Shankar completed Bachelor of Science degree from Bangalore University. After graduation, Shankar travelled with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi giving talks and arranging conferences on Vedic science, and setting up meditation and Ayurveda centres
- Ravi Shankar’s first teacher was Sudhakar Chaturvedi who was an Indian Vedic Scholar and a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi
- Published on: June 30, 2015