Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan has been launched by Union Government [ Current News (Concise) ]
Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan (Accessible India Campaign) has been launched by Union Government which is a nationwide campaign in order to attempt to achieve universal accessibility to persons with disabilities. Union Minister of Finance Arun Jaitley and Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot have launched it on the occasion of International Day of Persons with Disabilities 3 December.
About Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
- The main objective behind this Abhiyan is to enable persons with disabilities to gain universal access and equal opportunity for development, independent living and participation in an inclusive society in all aspects of life.
- The campaign enrolled by Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment in order to get all the Rights for the Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) to which India is a signatory.
Target set by the campaign:
- Target of this campaign is to make all railway stations and international airport to A1, A & B categories in the country so that they can be fully accessible to the disabled up to July 2016.
- They are wondering to convert at least 10 % of government transportation carriers to fully accessible carriers for disabled persons by March 2018.
- According to target up to March 2018 at least 50 % for issuing all public documents by the Central and State Governments to meet accessibility standards for persons with disabilities.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 8, 2015