Sushil Koirala Former Prime Minister of Nepal is No More [ Current News (Concise) ]
Sushil Koirala a former Prime Minister of Nepal and Nepali Congress (NC) President has passed away due to Pneumonia in Kathmandu at the age of 79 years. Mr. Koirala has served as 37th Prime Minister of Nepal from February 10, 2014 till September 2015. After new republic constitution of Nepal was promulgated under his leadership he has ceased from PM position.
About Sushil Koirala
- He was born on 12th August 1939 at Banaras, India in Nepal’s politically prominent Koirala family and his cousins Matrika Prasad Koirala, Girija Prasad Koirala and Bishweshwar Prasad Koirala were the former Prime Ministers of Nepal.
- In 1954 he has joined Nepali Congress after inspired by party’s the social-democratic ideals.
- From that time he had served in many capacities of the Nepali Congress and he was elected as its President in 2010 till his death.
- He was in political exile for 16 years in India.
- He was in Indian prisons for his involvement in a plane hijacking in 1973 for 3 years.
- Nepali Congress had appeared as the largest party in the 2013 Constituent Assembly elections under his leadership which later played important role in drafting country’s new constitution.
- In June 2015 while he was serving as Prime Minister, a historic agreement among 4 major political parties was reached which paved the way for unopposed adaptation of new republic constitution of Nepal
- Published/Last Modified on: February 10, 2016