T.S. Papola Noted labour economist passes away [ Current News (Concise) ]
Dr. T. S. Papola Noted labour economist has passed away in New Delhi, He was 74. From 1987 to 1995, Dr. T. S. Papola was an advisor with the erstwhile Planning Commission of Union Government. About Dr. T. S. Papola In labour and employment, industrial economics, development planning, regional development and enterprise development he was specialized.
Teaching career :
- Papola had over 4 decades (40 year) of experience in teaching, research and advisory assignments.
- In various universities He had taught in India and abroad including in University of Lucknow and Bombay, Indian Institute of Management (Ahmedabad) and University of Cambridge, UK.
Consultative and Advisory Roles:
- In several State and National level bodies he had served as Chairman and Member including the Prime Minister’s Advisory Council on Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- He also had worked in consultative and advisory capacities with multiple international organizations such as UNCTAD, ILO, UNIDO, UNDP and UNICEF.
- At the Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID) New Delhi he was founder member and former director and honorary professor.
- He was also a Chairman of Lucknow based Giri Institute of Development Studies.
- He was Chairman of the 4th State Finance Commission (SFC) of Uttarakhand. And founder member of New Delhi based Institute for Human Development (IHD) and
- 14 books had authored by Dr. T. S. Papola and around 80 research papers in reputed journals.
- On Labour regulation in Indian industry he also had edited a 10 - volume series.
Awards and Honors:
- He was awarded in 1984 by VKRV Rao Young Social Scientist Prize for outstanding contribution in Economics
- He also got VKRV Rao Lifetime Achievement Award for contribution to Social Science,
- In 2007 he was also got Kautilya Award by the UP - Uttarakhand Economic Association.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 24, 2015