Tabla Gnius Pandit Shankar Ghosh is No More [ Current News (Concise) ]
Pandit Shankar Ghosh a well-known Tabla player passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal due to a prolonged illness at the age of 80 years. He was the most famous tabla player in the country and belongs to the Farukhabad gharana of Hindustani classical music.
About Pandit Shankar Ghosh
- He was born in 1935.
- He had started his training taleem in 1953 under the direction of legendary Pandit Gyan Prakash Ghosh.
- He also trained under Ustad Feroz Khan, Pandit Sudarshan Adhikari and Pandit Anath Nath Bose.
- And he has trained many students in India as well as in Europe.
- Bickram Ghosh also got trained under him.
- He had performed with vocalists such as Pandit Omkarnath Thakur, Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Girija Devi, Pandit Vinayakrao Patwardhan and Akhtari Bai.
- For his ‘jugalbandi’ performances with celebrated classical musicians like Ustad Vilayat Khan, sitarists Pandit Ravi Shankar and violinist Pandit VG Jog he had earned rave reviews.
- At he also had collaborated with artists like Pete Lockett, Greg Ellis and John Bergamo at international level.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2000
- ITC Sangeet Research Academy award
- Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan award
- Published on: January 25, 2016