Tamil Nadu ranks 1st in donation of organ in India [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Organ Donation: Organ is a part of human or animal body. Organ donation is the donation of an organ of the human body from a living or dead person to a living recipient by transplantation.
- 13th August is celebrated as organ donation day.
About Tamil Nadu’s achievement of 1st rank:
- Tamil Nadu state ranked 1st in organ donation in the country by transplanting organs of 683 persons to over 3000 beneficiaries.
- Organ Donation Day celebrated on 13th August 2015 and it was announced by State Health Minister C Vijaya Bhaskar.
- In Tamil Nadu, the overall transplantations of organs included 144 heart transplants, 636 liver transplants, 1233 kidney, 69 lung transplants, 4 pancreas, 618 heart valves, 2 small bowels, 1, 032 cornea, 22 skin and 2 blood vessels.
- Transplant Authority of Tamil Nadu (TATN) which was established in 2008 is responsible for transplantation of organs in Tamil Nadu.
- Published/Last Modified on: August 18, 2015