Tamil actress Manorama passes away [ Current News (Concise) ]
Gopishantha better known by her stage name Manorama, also called as Aachi, was a Tamil actress born on 26 May 1937 passes away at the age of 78. For nearly six periods she had acted in above 1, 500 films, 1, 000 stage performances and numerous television series in five languages.
- She was born in Mannargudi in then Madras Presidency of British India.
- She started her career as a stage artist in time when women acting in plays were rare in modern India.
- She adopted the name Manorama when she was performing on the stage.
- Debut film - Malayitta Mangai, released in 1958
- First song - sang in Ratha Thilagam in 1963.
- For her widespread grandmother roles in TV serials, she was tenderly called as Aachi Manorama.
Awards and Honours:
- Padma Shri (2002)
- Kalaimamani award of Tamil Nadu Government
- National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress (1989) for the movie Pudhiya Pathai
- Guinness World Record for acting in more than 1000 number of films
- Published on: October 13, 2015