The Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 comes into force [ Current News (Concise) ]
About the Juvenile Justice Act: The Juvenile Justice which is a Care and Protection of Children Act, 2015 came into force from 15th January 2016. In this regard, Union Ministry of Woman and Child Development has issued orders for enforceable of Act.
- President Pranav Mukherjee’s agreed this act on December 31st, 2015 after it was passed by the Parliament.
About the features of Act:
- It aims at certifying protection, proper care, development and social restoration of children in difficult conditions by approving a child-friendly method.
- It also allows trying of youths between the ages of 16 and 18 years as adults for odious crimes.
- It also establishes Child Welfare Committees along with Juvenile Justice Boards (JJB) in each district.
- It authorizes JJB to observe the nature of crime and decide whether it was done as a child mind or as an adult mind.
- Juvenile criminal will be either sent for analysis or will be tried as an adult, based on the preliminary inquiry of JJB.
- The CWC will regulate official attention for juvenile in need of care and protection.
- It suggests rights of adoptive parents and the procedure for adoption.
- It will also give rights for taking penalties for unkindness against a child have been given in case of offering a sedative matter to a child and selling and kidnap of a child.
- Published on: January 18, 2016