The first Indian PM of India to visit United Arab Emirates(UAE) [ Current News (Concise) ]
“Impact of PM’s UAE Visit”: On August 16 - 17, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi went on a two day visit to United Arab Emirates (UAE), the first Indian PM to do so in last 34 years. It was even his first visit to the Arab Countries. Whereas, UAE and India have close economic relations.
- UAE is the third largest trading partner of India after China and the US while the India is the second largest trade partner of UAE.
- Apart from economic relations, India and UAE also find converging interest on issues like terrorism, climate change, UN reforms etc.
- While agreeing to the need of cooperation in key areas like trade and investment, defense, security, maritime security and intelligence sharing, India and UAE had agreed to elevate their relationship to become partners. On the basis of following outcomes, PM’s visit to UAE can be said to be highly successful till now.
ECONOMIC ASPECT FOR INDIAN GROWTH SYSTEM
- Without any improvement and at the same time increment in the economic growth, it is nearly impossible for a developing country to improve in its living standards.
- To ensure for a faster GDP growth we need to be filled with foreign investments.
- UAE has assured the investments to the tune of USD75 billion in India through the establishment of the UAE - India Infrastructure Investment Fund, which will support the building of railways, ports, roads, airports and industrial corridors.
- India and UAE also agreed to boost their annual trade by 60 % in the next five years. This indeed is a great sign of a great revolution for India.
SMART CITIES FOR MORE AND MORE DEVELOPMENT OF INDIA
- Most of the Indian cities are badly lacking with the unplanned formations. This results in formation of slum clusters lacking even basic facilities.
- Apart from this, traffic, pollution, garbage disposal etc. are other issues which don’t allow the Indian urban centres to come amongst the ranks of global world class cities.
- The concept of smart cities was put forward to make Indian urban centres one of the best cities in the world.
- One of the major reasons behind PM’s visit to Masdar city in UAE was to have a better idea about the development of smart cities in India.
- Masdar is the world’s first zero carbon city which relies on solar energy and other renewable energy sources. It is a high - tech city.
INDIAN DIASPORA FOR THE OVERALL WELFARE OF INDIA
- Around 2.6 million Indian diaspora which includes both Hindu and Muslims is earning its livelihood in UAE.
- For the welfare of Indian diaspora, PM also announced a new scheme under which Indian experts who are in trouble can get financial help for various causes
- India is also pursuing manpower and labour agreements with Gulf States to help from the Indian workers in the region.
- The UAE government has also allotted land for a Hindu in Abu Dhabi.
- They UAE have also decided to allot land for temples for Hindus. This indeed is a great start.
FOR DEVELOPMENT AND STRENGTHENING OF INDIAN DEFENCE COOPERATION
- India and UAE agreed to strengthen defense cooperation through regular exercises, training and manufacturing of defense equipment in India.
TERRORISM A TOPIC OF CONCERN
- Terrorism is an area where both India and UAE find convergence of common interests.
- Emergence of Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is one such threat which is concern for every Asian country.
- As ISIS has captured a large territory in Middle East, it poses an immediate threat to UAE. India too is not immune to such threat as increasing religious extremism provides the suitable ground for such organizations to flourish.
- In order to thwart and sabotage such threats, both India and UAE had agreed to cooperate in counter - terrorism measures and intelligence sharing.
ENERGY SECURITY THE MOST IMPORTANT PROSPECT
- Energy security is the most important aspect for the economic growth of a country in the absence of which long term growth.
- Till then it will always remain a mirage.
- For that matter, UAE agreed to help India in developing strategies. This will hopefully and fortunately lead to a drastic and positive change in India.
- In the last few years, India has been able to look beyond their neighbor’s which were accomplished to fulfil their global ambitions.
- In order to be accepted as a regional power, recognition by United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is something which individual national can’t deny.
- UAE has assured its support to India in its bid to get a permanent membership in the UNSC.
- Published on: October 5, 2015