The first female President of Nepal - Bidhya Devi Bhandari [ Current News (Concise) ]
Bidhya Devi Bhandari from the ruling Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist Leninist) -CPN - UML is elected as first female President of Nepal. She became first President under newly promulgated Constitution of Nepal.
Second President since the Himalayan nation became a republic.
About her winning:
- In election, Bidhya Devi Bhandari defeated her challenger Kul Bahadur Gurung of the Nepali Congress by acquiring 327 to 214 votes out of aggregate 549 votes.
- Under the country’s new Constitution propagated on 20 September 2015 it was obligatory for Parliament to elect new President and Vice - President, Prime Minister and parliament Speaker and Deputy speaker.
About Bidhya Devi Bhandari:
- She was Born in June 1961 in Bhojpur, Nepal.
- She is deputy leader of the CPN - UML party.
- She had functioned as Defense Minister of the country.
- She has been an active campaigner for women’s rights.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 2, 2015