Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held in Sendai Japan [ Current News (Concise) ]
The 3rd UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) was held in Sendai City from 14 March to 18 March 2015 in Japan. The 3rd UN World Conference was hosted by the Government of Japan in cooperation with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR). The representative of India was conference by the Minister of Home Affairs Rajnath Singh.
The importance of the conference were to complete assessment and review of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action and preparing for, responding to and mitigating the risk of natural disasters.
The HFA suggests five specific priorities for action. These include priorities are-
- Making disaster risk reduction a priority
- Improving risk information and early warning
- Building a culture of safety and resilience
- Reducing the risks in key sectors
- Strengthening preparedness for response
The first World Conference on Natural Disaster Reduction held in 1994 and theme was Yokohama Strategy and Plan of Action for a Safer World.
During 18 January 2015 to 22 January 2015, the second world conference was held in Japan (Kobe).
- Published/Last Modified on: March 19, 2015