To build Naval Base on Assumption Island of Seychelles, Seychelles government allows India [ Current News (Concise) ]
To build its first Naval Base on the Assumption Island in the Indian Ocean region (IOR) Seychelles government allowed India as a joint project between both countries. And regarding to this Seychelles government has allocated a plot of land on in its Assumption Island which will help to enhance mutual security along our western seaboard in IOR.
- After China acquiring its first African naval base in Djibouti (near Horn of Africa) in November 2014 India’s first Naval Base project has picked up.
- The defence forces of both countries will use the naval base in significance on completion.
- It will be advantage for India to workout greater control over the strategic western region of IOR to the piracy-prone eastern African coastline that commands vital energy (oil) sea transport lines.
- This naval base will be enactment posts for a large naval security network that India is setting up with the help of the various IOR partner countries.
- In Seychelles, from March 2016 India is also set to acquire a fully operational coastal radar system (CRS).
- In mid-January 2016 it is also providing new patrol vessels to Seychelles.
- IOR will help Seychelles to secure itself in the Contact Group for Piracy off the Coast of Somalia (CGPCS), which will hold its first meeting in Mumbai (Maharashtra) in January, 2016.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 29, 2015