Union Cabinet Approved Ligo-India Mega Science Proposal [ Current News (Concise) ]
The LIGO-India project (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory in India) proposal has been approved by Union Government for research on gravitational waves. The historic detection of gravitational waves had opened up of a new window on the universe to unravel some of its greatest mysteries is a main reason behind this approval.
- Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and Department of Science and Technology (DST) is leading LIGO-India project.
- It will give motivation to scientific research in the country.
- With the collaboration to the US based LIGO Laboratory run, a state-of-the-art Gravitational Wave Observatory will formed in India by Caltech and MIT.
- By doing research into the realm of gravitational wave, Indian scientists and engineers will get advantage from this project to take global leadership in this new astronomical frontier.
- In October 2011 for locating an interferometer in India this LIGO-India project proposal was made under the India-United States cooperation agreement US LIGO lab and US National Science Foundation (NSF).
- The Indian Initiative in Gravitational-wave Observations (IndiGO) Consortium (formed in 2009) has given formal proposal in this regard was submitted to the DAE and DST.
- US is going to provide all the hardware and technology required for project and India’s responsibility will be to construct and operate it under this proposal.
- Published on: February 19, 2016