Union Cabinet agrees National Offshore Wind Energy Policy [ Current News (Concise) ]
About National Offshore Wind Energy: Offshore wind power is the construction of wind farms in water forms to generate electricity from wind. On offshore, there is stronger wind speeds are available rather than on land.
- So electricity supplied is higher by offshore wind power.
- Offshore wind power includes coastal water areas such as lakes, natural ports and protected sea areas using old fixed - bottom wind turbine technologies and deep - water areas using moving wind turbines.
About agreement to NOWE Policy:
- Union Cabinet agreed National Offshore Wind Energy Policy.
- This policy allows generating electricity from offshore windmills which are in Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) areas of the country.
- Under this policy, offshore wind power projects and R&D activities will be agreed in waters up to the seaward distance of 200 Naval Miles from the base line.
- The policy will provide a non - biased live field to all national and international investors.
- This policy will cover the way for offshore wind power projects along the 7600 km long Indian shoreline.
- Published on: September 10, 2015