Union Cabinet agrees to set up India Sign Language Research and Training Centre [ Current News (Concise) ]
About ISLRTC: The Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre was started on October 4, 2011. It has been established with the help of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. It is an initial centre in India which offers full - time teaching with distance learning for short - term and full - fledged programmes.
- It helps to provide equal chances to deaf persons to fully participate in every sphere of life.
- It also plays an important role in developing sign language translators.
- It also helps and promotes the research and scholarship for the deaf people in language and literature.
About the approval:
- This decision was taken by the Union Cabinet which is led by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- This centre will be set up as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 in New Delhi.
- This centre will be having a General Council consisting of a President with 12 members.
- It will also have an Executive Council consisting of a Chairman and 9 members.
- By setting up this centre it will help around 5 million deaf community of the country.
- This will ease the access of deaf community in education, work and in activities in daily life.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 23, 2015