Union Cabinet approved 33 percent women reservation in police forces of all Union Territories [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Union Cabinet approved 33% reservation for women in police forces of all Union territories (UTs) including Delhi police announced by in the Union Cabinet meet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Women will be selected by direct recruitment in non-gazetted posts like constables to sub-inspectors and purpose of reduce gender gap increase representation of women in Police.
- In 16 December 2012, the Justice Verma Committee that was set up after incident of “Nirbhaya case” (Delhi Gangrape case). Verma Committee had recommended amendments to criminal laws which were accepted by the Union government.
- The women reservation will also cover reserved categories like SCs, STs and OBCs. It would apply to all existing vacancies in police forces of the UTs and any vacancy arising later recruitments.
- Gujarat Government had announced 33 percent reservation for women in the police force of the state on 24 June 2014.
- It enacted the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013 which made significant changes in the provisions relating to women in the Indian Penal Code (IPC), 1860, the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), 1973 and the Indian Evidence Act, 1872.
- Published/Last Modified on: March 24, 2015