Union Cabinet approved setting up of six Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Union Cabinet meet was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Union cabinet announced setting up of six new Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) in the country. These new IIMs will be located at Amritsar (Punjab), Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Nagpur (Maharashtra), Sambalpur (Odisha), Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh) and Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh).
- During session from 2015-16, these IIMs are intended to commence their first academic. Each Institute will start with an intake of 140 students in the Post Graduate Programme (PGP) courses.
- Andhra Pradesh and Telangana the need for setting up of an IIM in Andhra Pradesh in pursuance of the Andhra Pradesh Re-organization Act, 2014 was necessitated.
- In the July 2014 Budget, it was proposed to set up five IIMs in Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha and Punjab.
- These IIMs are being set up as part commitment made by the Union Government in its Budget presentation of July 2014.
- Published on: June 29, 2015