Union Government Shortlists 20 Cities of India under Smart Cities Mission [ Current News (Concise) ]
About the shortlist of the cities by Union Ministry: In the list of first batch of Smart Cities Mission, the Union Ministry of Urban Development has nominated 20 cities from 11 States and Delhi Union Territory from India. These nominated cities were selected on the basis of Smart City Challenge competition in which 97 cities and towns had participated from 23 States and Union Territorys.
Among the nominated 20 Smart cities,
- 3 are from Madhya Pradesh,
- 2 each are from Maharashtra, Rajasthan Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh,
- 1 each from Odisha, Kerala, Delhi (Union Territory), Assam and Punjab.
20 shortlisted smart cities (Rank wise) are:
- Bhubaneswar of Odisha.
- Pune of Maharashtra.
- Jaipur of Rajasthan.
- Surat of Gujarat.
- Kochi of Kerala.
- Ahmedabad of Gujarat.
- Jabalpur of Madhya Pradesh.
- Visakhapatnam of Andhra Pradesh.
- Solapur of Maharashtra.
- Devangere of Karnataka.
- Indore of Madhya Pradesh.
- New Delhi Municipal Corporation.
- Coimbatore of Tamil Nadu.
- Kakinada of Andhra Pradesh.
- Belagavi of Karnataka.
- Udaipur of Rajasthan.
- Guwahati of Assam.
- Chennai of Tamil Nadu.
- Ludhiana of Punjab.
- Bhopal, of Madhya Pradesh.
About Smart City:
- A smart city is highly developed urban region in development of overall infrastructure, communications, sustainable real estate and market viability.
- It uses information and communication technologies (ICT) to improve quality, performance and interactivity of urban services, to reduce the costs and resource ingesting and to improve contact between citizens and government.
- Published on: February 1, 2016