Union Government Will Setup National Organic Farming Research Institute in Sikkim [ Current News (Concise) ]
The National Organic Farming Research Institute (NOFRI) will be formed at Sikkim as decided by The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare. The existing Regional Centre of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) at Gangtok will upgraded to establish this Institute.
- Union Agriculture Minister Radhamohan Singh has decided to form this Institute after he met Sikkim Agriculture Minister Som Nath Paudyal in New Delhi.
- To help in sustaining the organic farming and also in marketing of the State’s organic products, Union government has given his assurance to state government.
- Recently in January 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has declared Sikkim as the first organic farming State in the country.
- Around 75000 hectares of Land in state is fully certified as organic farms.
- “Organic farming is a form of agriculture that relies on techniques such as crop rotation, green manure, compost, and biological pest control. ”
- The organic farming doesn’t involve any chemical inputs such as pesticides and fertilizer.
- Published/Last Modified on: February 9, 2016