Union Government agrees to introduction of women fighter pilots in Indian Air Force [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Indian Air Force: The Indian Air Force is the air arm of the Indian armed forces. It’s the World’s 4th largest Airforce. Its primary responsibility is to secure Indian airspace and to conduct aerial warfare during a conflict
About the introduction of women fighter pilots:
- Union Government has approved introduction of women into the Fighter branch of Indian Air Force (IAF).
- From now on, women are eligible to get inducted in all branches and streams of the Air Force.
- Union Defence Ministry has taken this decision keeping in view the aims of Indian women and in line with modern - day trends in Armed Forces of developed nations.
- Under the new rules, the first women fighter pilots would be selected from the batch which is presently undergoing flying training at Air Force Academy in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- These women pilots will be appointed into the fighter stream in June 2016 after successful completion of initial training.
- Afterwards, they would go through advanced training for 1 year and would enter a fighter cockpit by June 2017.
- Currently, there are around 1, 500 women in the IAF including 94 pilots and 14 navigators
- IAF is also welcoming women in Transport and Helicopter streams.
- Published on: October 29, 2015