Union Government allow Aadhaar enrolments of NRIs, PIOs, OICs [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Aadhaar enrolment: The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is a central government agency of India. It is committed to the former Planning Commission of India, now NITI Aayog.
- Its work is to collect the biometric and demographic data of residents, store them in a centralized database, and issue a 12 - digit unique identity number called Aadhaar to each resident.
About allowance to NRIs, PIOs and OICs:
- Union Government has decided to allow Aadhaar enrollment of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs) and Non - Resident Indians (NRIs).
- This was decided by Union Planning Minister Rao Inderjit Singh in.
- This move will help all persons on the Indian soil (including resident Indian, OCI / PIO, NRIs and visa holding visitors) to authenticate their identity digitally.
- For this, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is working on the policy for Aadhaar enrolment of NRIs, PIOs and OICs as per directions from the government.
- However, no time frame has been expressed for achieving the goal.
- Presently, UIDAI is providing Aadhaar number all residents including Indian national and foreigners with valid visas who are enrolling for it.
- Published on: August 11, 2015