Union Government introduces KISAN Project and Hailstorm app for farmers [ Current News (Concise) ]
About KISAN Project: This project will help in the use of satellites, drones (unmanned aerial vehicles) and other geospatial technology to collect crop yield data and to repair the damage caused by natural calamities. Drones will help in taking high resolution image of crop calculation and will be checked with satellite imaging and other geospatial technology to get the exact data.
- The data will help crop insurance companies to give proper benefit to the affected farmers.
- This process will help develop index - based data for insurance companies.
- It will help farmers, government agencies and insurance companies to move away from old style of crop insurance process considered on the basis of crop cutting experiments.
- It will provide suitable and exact data for insurance and make payment of dues to farmers without any delay.
About Hailstorm App:
- It is an Android mobile phone application.
- It helps to measure large - scale damage to crops caused by hail.
- Farmers can directly send photos of their crop damage due to hailstorm to officials for immediate help by using this application in their smart phones.
About Government introducing this Project and App:
- This is to benefit the farmers in all possible ways whose crops are affected by natural calamities.
- This project is initially introduced in places like Haryana, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The programme will be jointly conducted by Indian Space Research Organization, Mahalanobis National Crop Forecast Centre, India Meteorological Department, Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security, State Agriculture Departments and other sensing Centers.
- Published on: October 7, 2015