Union Government sacks Dr Bimal K Roy Director of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Indian Statistical Institute Union Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MOSPI) has dismissed Dr Bimal K Roy as the Director of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI). Dr Bimal K Roy who is a renowned cryptologist was appointed Director of ISI in August 2010 and he was removed from the office on charges of indiscipline one-and-a-half months before the end of his term.
- Roy was conferred with India’s fourth highest civilian honour Padma Shri for his contribution in the discipline of literature and education in April 2015.
- Professor Sanghmitra Bandyopadhayay now will succeed Dr Bimal K Roy as the Director of ISI. With this appointment she has become the first woman to lead the institute.
- Bandyopadhayay is a computer scientist specialized in the field of computational biology. She completed master degree in computer science from the IIT Kharagpur and pursued Ph. D. from ISI.
- Bandyopadhayay was awarded with Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award for her contributions to engineering sciences in 2010.
- Bandyopadhayay is a researcher of pattern recognition, evolutionary computation, bioinformatics and machine learning.
- Published on: June 23, 2015