Union Ministry of Health Launches Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDFC) [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a nationwide Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDCF). IDFC launch for the check child diarrhoeal deaths. In New Delhi the drive of IDCF was launched by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda.
- IDCF drive is a very cost -effective intervention to control the risk of spread of diarrhoea which balances during monsoon season.
- In state, district and village levels the intensified community awareness campaigns on hygiene and promotion of Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) and Zinc therapy will be conducted.
- ASHAs (Accredited Social Health Activists) will visit all households having children below five years of age for pre-positioning the Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS).
- They also explain the advantage of the ORS solution in treatment of diarrhoea.
- Government objective to covering over 80 per cent of children affected by diarrhoea in the country.
- There are about 100 million children below five years of age across the country.
- More than 0.5 million schools participated in the IDCF campaign and more than 0.35 million ORS corners were set up in the country.
- Importance of IDFC drive is that to make ORS available in the household when needed at the time of diarrhoea.
- All health facilities will have ORS corners which will continuously determine the way to prepare the ORS mixture.
- In diarrhoea these corners will also administer ORS and Zinc to children who are in need of these.
- It caused by various viruses, bacteria and protozoa like rotavirus, E. coli etc.
The main reasons for diarrhoeal attacks amongst children are:
- Dirty water
- Poor health
- Poor hygiene
- lack of immunisation
- The combination of ORS and Zinc is the most cost-effective intervention to prevent deaths due to diarrhoea and it has been recognized as one of the best practices globally.
- Published on: July 13, 2016