Union Steel and Mines Minister Narendra Singh Tomar announced National Geoscience Awards-2013 [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
Union Steel and Mines Minister of Narendra Singh Tomar announced National Geoscience Awards (NGA)-2013 in New Delhi and the annual awards are presented to honour individuals and team of scientists for their outstanding contributions in the field of fundamental or applied Geosciences, Mining and Allied areas.
Dr. Indra Bir Singh is a professor of Lucknow University, was conferred with the highest honour National Geoscience Award for Excellence for his outstanding contributions in the field of sedimentary technologies in year 2013.
22 other geoscientists were being given the awards in ten disciplines including Mining Technology, Basic Geosciences, Geo-Information System, etc along with Dr. Indra Bir Singh.
About the NGA (National Geosciences Awards) prestigious awards in the field of Geosciences in the country.
- National Geosciences Awards, earlier known as National Mineral Awards and it was instituted in 1966 by the Union Ministry of Mines expanded and rechristened as NGA in 2009.
- Any citizen of India who is a professionally qualified geo-scientist or engineer or technologist or academician with significant contribution in any field of earth sciences is eligible.
- Nominations are invited annually for NGA under three categories. These are National Geoscience Award for Excellence and Young Researcher Award which carry 200000, 500000 and 50000 award money respectively.
- The selection of the awardees is a three tier process and the final round of selection is done by the Award Making Authority chaired by the Secretary to Government of India, Ministry of Mines.
- Published on: April 8, 2015