VK Malhotra named head of All India Council of Sports [ Current News (Concise) ]
About his appointment: Vijay Kumar Malhotra is an Indian politician and a sport administrator. He belongs to the Bharatiya Janata Party. He was born in the Lahore city of Punjab in British India which is now in Pakistan.
- Experienced sports administrator VK Malhotra was today named by the government as the head of the All India Council of Sports, which will have a host of well - known sports persons, comprising of cricketer Sachin Tendulkar and chess player Vishwanathan Anand, as members.
- Other past sportspersons in the council include PT Usha, Limba Ram, N Kunjarani Devi, IM Vijayan, Baichung Bhutia and P Gopichand.
- “We congratulate Mr. VK Malhotra on his appointment as All India Council of Sports President. He is stalwart in sports administration in the country. We hope he will a do great job in his new assignment, ” IOA Secretary General Rajiv Mehta mentioned.
About the works handled by the council:
- The Council will be an advisory body for the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and will counsel the Ministry on matters relating to the promotion and development of sports and games in the country
- This includes popularizing sports amongst the youth, increasing reach of sports to rural and tribal areas.
- The Council will also direct the ministry on carrying out of policies for advertising of sports and games in the country, specially focus on women, differently - abled, tribals etc.
- The Council also handle the matters of preventing drug abuse in sports, fraud of age and sexual harassment of women in sports; bringing professionalism, transparency and good governance in functioning of National Sports Federations.
- Apart from that it will also provide guidance on promotion of sports sciences and sports medicine; expanding sports infrastructure and ensuring its proper use; issues arising out of match fixing and other abuses in competitive sports, incorporation of sports in educational curriculum in schools, colleges; health measures for sports persons, will be among other zones of emphasis for the Council.
- The Council may organize national, international conferences, seminars, symposia etc. , for promotion of sports and games in the country.
- Published/Last Modified on: October 20, 2015