Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor conferred with Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2014 [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
Veteran actor- film producer Shashi Kapoor who received the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award 2014 from Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley at a special function held in Prithvi Theatre in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Shashi Kapoor is the 46th film personality to receive this honour and third Phalke for the Kapoor family after father Prithviraj Kapoor in 1972 and elder brother Raj Kapoor in 1987.
- Shashi Kapoor was born on March 18, 1938 in Kolkata, West Bengal and his child name was Balbir Raj Prithviraj Kapoor.
- Shashi Kapoor started acting in films as a child in 1940s. His best known performances as child artist were in Aag (1948), Awaara (1951) and Sangram (1950). At present, he has appeared in 160 movies altogether, 12 being in English and the rest in Hindi.
- His first Bollywood debut as a lead actor was in the film Dharmputra in 1961.He is also best-known for his performances in Hindi films like ‘Jab Jab Phool Khile’, ‘Deewar’ and ‘Kabhi Kabhie’. He also worked inAmerican and British films these areThe Householder (1963), Shakespeare Wallah (1965), Bombay Talkie (1970), Heat and Dust (1982), The Deceivers (1988), Side Streets (1998) etc.
Shashi Kapoor received many Awards and Honours-
- National Film Award for Best actor for the film New Delhi Times (1986)
- National Film Award Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) for Muhafiz (1993)
- National Film Award Best Feature Film in Hindi (as Producer) for Junoon (1979)
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award (2010) and
- Padma Bhushan (2011)
Dadasaheb Phalke Award is the India’s highest award in cinema which was established in 1969 to commemorate the birth centenary year of father of Indian cinema Dadasaheb Phalke. Award comprises a Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus) medallion, a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees and a shawl.
- Published on: May 14, 2015