WII to House India’S First Tiger Repository [ Current News (Concise) - Economics ]
Under the Wildlife Institute of India’s new Tiger Cell WII will house the country’s first repository on tigers. They worked with the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) on tiger conservation and population estimation and in the process we have created a vast database.
- WII Dehradun-based has about 23,000 images of tigers. This has been maintained the Tiger Cell.
- If the tiger skin is recovered at a place then a properly maintained database. This can be used to check where the tiger have come from.
- Tiger Cell also help with the development-conservation debate.
- It will be funded by the NTCA (National Tiger Conservation Authority).
- Tiger Cell support to:
About Wildlife Institute of India (WII):
- WII covered under the Union Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change and it’s an autonomous institution.
- Its works as a specialized research in various areas of study like:
About National Tiger Conservation Authority (NCTA)
- National Tiger Conservation Authority is a statutory body by the Wild Life (Protection) Amendment Act, 2006 which had amended Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
- It’s also cover under the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate change.
- It provides the strengthened institutional mechanisms. These mechanisms provide for the protection of ecologically endangered species and sensitive areas.
- Published on: August 9, 2016