Witch Hunting (Prohibition, Prevention and Protection) Bill 2015 passes by Assam [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Assam: Assam is a state in the north - eastern region of India. Located south of the eastern Himalayas. What is Witch Hunting? The witch hunting includes violence and beliefs that have led to the pain and murder of suspected witches.
About Witch Hunting Bill:
- Assam state government has passed Assam Witch Hunting (Prohibition, Prevention and Protection) Bill, 2015.
- This bill was passed to prevent the rising incidents of witch hunting cases across the state.
- It was passed with the spirit of universal declaration of human rights, crimes in witch hunting cases cause uncultured violation of basic human rights.
Key features of Bill:
- It aims to eliminate the irrational belief from society by making such offences.
- Disallow any person from calling, recognizing or insulting any other person as witch by words, signs, conducts or indications.
- If anybody found guilty as witch hunting, then the person can get 7 years of jail and fine up to 5 lakh rupees as per Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code.
- If anybody blames a person for natural tragedies in a particular locality such as floods, droughts, illness or any death can get 3 years custody.
- Published/Last Modified on: August 18, 2015