World Famous Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath Begins [ Current News (Concise) ]
The world famous Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath has begun in Puri, Odisha as well as in different parts of the country. Rath Yatra marks is an annual celebration of the journey of Lord Jagannath, his brother Lord Balbhadra and sister Subhadra to the Gundicha temple.
- The festival is celebrated on second day of Sukla Paksha.
- This day in bright fortnight of Ashadha month.
- It will see audience of more than 10 lakh people in the chariot festival.
- Multi-layer security arrangements have been made for the festival.
- In Odisha, the Rath Yatra in the coastal city of Puri began at 12th century Jagannath temple.
Celebrations of festival:
- The celebration ends nine days later with Bahuda Yatra or return journey to their temple which will take place on the 14th of this month.
- During this traditional procession, the chariots carrying these gods are pulled by thousands of believers.
- The second oldest Rath Yatra in the country is held at Mahesh in Serampore, West Bengal.
- A large number of people have assembled to have a share in pulling the long ropes attached to the chariots of three deities from the Mahesh temple to Gundicha Bari.
- In Gujarat, 139th annual Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath began in Ahmedabad.
- The historic Rath Yatra began from 400 years old Lord Jagannath Temple in Jamalpur area of old city.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 8, 2016