World Oceans Day is Being Observed on 8th June [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
Every year 8th June is being observed as World Oceans Day globally to raise global awareness of the current challenges faced by the international community in connection with the oceans. The day also aims to offer a unique occasion to honour, protect, and preserve the world’s oceans.
- “Healthy oceans, healthy planet” is theme of 2016 this theme express main critical necessity to curb the plastic pollution.
- Number of activities and actions done to mark this day such as beach clean-ups special outdoor explorations, educational and action programs and sustainable seafood events et are organized.
Importance of Oceans:
- Generate most of the oxygen we breathe
- Provides food thus help to feed us
- Regulate climate
- Help to clean the water we drink
- Offer a pharmacopoeia of medicines
- 8th June is designated as world Oceans Day by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2008 with passing its resolution 63/111.
- It was informally celebrated every 8 June.
- At the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro of Brazil, Canada had suggested celebration of this day in 1992.
About United Nations General Assembly:
- The United Nations General Assembly is one of the six principal structures of the United Nations and it is one and only Assembly in which all member nations has equal representation.
- Its influences are to supervise the budget of the United Nations, retain the non-permanent members to the Security Council, receive reports from other parts of the United Nations and make approvals in the form of General Assembly Resolutions.
- It has also recognized a varied number of subsidiary organs.
- Published on: June 9, 2016