World Press Freedom Day is Being Observed on 3rd May Every Year [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
3rd May is observed as World Press Freedom Day (WPFD) every year across the world to raise awareness of the importance of freedom of the press. The theme of 2016 is “Access to Information and Fundamental Freedoms – This Is Your Right! ”
- This day also aims to prompt governments their duty to respect and uphold right to freedom of expression preserved under Article 19 of 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Observing this day marks an opportunity to
- Celebrate the important principles to appraise press freedom.
- Assess the state of freedom of press all over the world.
- Protect the media from occurrences on their freedom.
- Pay honor to journalists who have missed their lives in the exercise of their profession.
- 2016 WPFD is important because concurs with three significant milestones:
- 250th anniversary of world’s first freedom of information law which covers both modern-day Sweden and Finland.
- 25th anniversary of adoption of the Windhoek Declaration of press freedom principles in 1991.
- First year of the adaptation of new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in its 15 year life-cycle.
- In 1993 World Press Freedom Day was announced by the UN General Assembly (UNGA) which recommendation adopted at 26th Session of UNESCO’s General Conference in 1991 and recommendation was a response to a call given by African journalists who in 1991 produced the landmark Windhoek Declaration on media pluralism and independence
- From that time 3rd May is observed as anniversary of the Declaration of Windhoek and is celebrated worldwide as World Press Freedom Day.
- The (UNGA) is one of the six principal parts of the United Nations and the only one in which all member nations has equal representation. United Nations General Assembly
- Its controls are to supervise the economical of the United Nations, appoint the non-permanent members to the Security Council, accept reports from other parts of the United Nations and make references in the form of General Assembly Resolutions.
- It has also recognized a wide number of subsidiary organs.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 4, 2016