World’s Highest Altitude Research Centre set in Ladakh by DRDO [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO): It was established in 1958. It is an agency of Republic of India. It is under the control of Ministry of Defense of Indian Government.
- It is the India’s largest and most vast research organization.
- It develops several defense technologies in various fields.
- Its headquarters are in New Delhi.
About Altitude Research Centre:
- This Centre is established by Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- This Centre will function as a natural cold storage in protecting endangered and rare medical plants for future use.
- This Centre will take on large number of life science activities.
- It will also be useful for welfare of soldiers in high altitude cold desert as it is meant for research work in areas of food, agriculture and bio - medical sciences at the region.
- It will provide unique facility for other institutions and labs of DRDO for use and testing of electronics and communication devices.
- It will act as a premier ground for utilization of UAV’s micro engines, batteries, fuel cells and high altitude clothing in the cold conditions.
About this Centre establishment in Ladakh:
- The Altitude research Centre was established near Pengong Lake at Changla in Ladakh.
- The centre is located at an extreme altitude of 17, 600 feet above sea level.
- It was inaugurated by the Director General of DRDO Dr S Christopher.
- Published on: October 6, 2015