World’S First ‘Electric Road’ Introduced by Sweden [ Current News (Concise) ]
First Electric road’s test stretch in the Country, was inaugurated in Sandviken to conduct test with electric power on public road for heavy transports. In the world Sweden becomes first country to have electric road. This is one way of developing environmentally smart transports in the existing road network.
- The hybrid electric trucks from Scandia will operate on the 2 km strip on the E16 motorway using conductive technology developed by Siemens.
- Last year the Swedish transport administration, in consultation with Vinnova and the Swedish Energy agency, decided to give support to two test facilities. The two systems differ, above all, as to how electric power is transferred to the heavy vehicles.
- The test on the E16 in Sandviken is being carried out by Region Gavleborg, and involves a current collector on the roof of the truck cab feeding the current down to a hybrid electric motor in the truc.
- The Transport system of future one more puzzle piece of electric road, especially for making the heavy transport section fossil fuel-free over the long term.
- This project also show the importance of all the actors in the field cooperating, says Eric bandsman, Director- General of the Swedish Energy Agency
- This experiment is based on the Government’s goal of energy efficiency and a fossil fuel-free vehicle fleet by 2030, and will contribute to strengthening Sweden’s competitiveness.
- The three government agencies are partially funding the project, and the participants are paying for the rest of the funding.
- Swedish Transport Administration: Responsible for roads and railways in Sweden.
- Swedish Energy Agency: Works for the use of renewable energy.
- Vinnova: Develops Sweden’s capacity for innovating sustainable growth and societal benefit.
- Published on: June 29, 2016