Competitive Exams: Timeline Current Affairs 2009
Current Affairs 2009: Important Timelines Arts Sports Deaths
Current Affairs 2008: Arts, Sports and Deaths: India
Arts and Literature
- 3 February-Inaugurating the tenth Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) for documentary, short and animation films at the National Centre for Performing Arts (NCPA), Mumbai, the Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi announced that a dedicated channel for short films in the Eleventh Plan is under consideration.
- 14 February-The Government decides to extend visa of exiled Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen, for another six months. Her visa was to expire on 17 February.
- 19 February-The K K Birla Foundation decides to give the following awards: (1) The Sixteenth Vachaspati Puraskar for 2007 to Swami Rambhadracharya for his work Sribhargavaraghaviyam (Mahakavyam) (2). The 2007 Bihari Puraskar to Hindi poet Yashwant Vyas for his Hindi novel Comrade Godse (3). The Shankar Puraskar for 2007 to Prof. R S Tripathi for his work Baudh Darshan Prasthan.
- 20 February-Bengali poet and novelist Sunil Gangopadhyay elected president of the Sahitya Akademi.
- 8 May-The Delhi high court quashed three criminal proceedings initiated against the artist M. F. Husain for allegedly hurting public sentiments through some of his nude paintings that were perceived as obscene.
- 25 May-Pakistani rock band Junoon performs in Srinagar on the occasion of opening of the Institute of Kashmir Studies at the Kashmir University.
- 15 October-Aravind Adiga, is awarded the 2008 Man Booker Prize for his debut novel, The White Tiger.
- 11 August-Shooter Abhinav_Bindra wins the gold in the 10 m Air Rifle event at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. He became the first Indian to win an individual gold medal at the Olympic Games.
- 20 August-Wrestler Sushil Kumar wins a bronze medal in the Men's 66kg Freestyle Wrestling category at 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
- 21 August-Boxer Vijender Kumar became the first Indian boxer to win an Olympic medal when he won bronze medal in the middleweight category at 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
- 7 October-Cricketer Sourav Ganguly announces retirement from Test Cricket.
- 17 October-Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar becomes the leading scorer in Test Cricket and also becomes the first batsman to score 12, 000 runs in Test Cricket.
- 2 November-Cricketer Anil Kumble announces retirement from Test Cricket.
- 1 January-Pratap Chandra Chunder, Minister, educationalist and author (b. 1919).
- 29 January-Bharath Gopi, 71, actor, director and producer (b. 1937).
- 1 February-Russi Karanjia, journalist and editor (b. 1912).
- 5 February-Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 90, spiritualist, founder of Transcendental Meditation (b. 1917).
- 8 February-P. B. Ranganekar, 95, CPI (M) leader and freedom fighter.
- 9 February-Baba Amte, 93, social activist (b. 1914).
- 20 February-Amaresh Bagchi, 77, economist and member of the Commission on Centre State Relations.
- 25 February-Hans Raj Khanna, 95, Supreme Court Judge (b. 1912).
- 27 February-Sujatha Rangarajan, 72, author, short story writer and playwright (b. 1935).
- 19 March-Raghuvaran, 49, actor (b. 1948).
- 23 March-Justice K. G. Shah, 73, Member of Nanavati-Shah Commission.
- 25 March-K T Muhammed, playwright (b. 1927).
- 19 May-Vijay Tendulkar, 80, playwright, movie and television writer, literary essayist, political journalist and social commentator (b. 1928).
- 26 May-Jhamu Sugandh, 57, film producer.
- 27 June-Sam Manekshaw, 94, first Field Marshal of the Indian Army (b. 1914).
- 29 July-Ishmeet Singh Sodhi, 18, winner Amul STAR Voice of India in 2007 (b. 1989).
- 1 August-Ashok Mankad, 61, test cricketer (b. 1946).
- 1 August-Harkishan Singh Surjeet, 92, former General Secretary of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) (b. 1916).
- 29 August-Jayshree Gadkar, actress (b. 1942).
- 27 September-Mahendra Kapoor, 74, playback singer (b. 1934).
- 26 November-Hemant Karkare, Vijay Salaskar, Ashok Kamte
- 27 November-V. P. Singh, 77, tenth Prime Minister of India (b. 1931)
- 28 November-Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, NSG commando